LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
- ¼ cup Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (very cold)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
Optional Lemon Icing Ingredients
- ½ cup Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut up very cold butter (you can even pop in the freezer for a few minutes) into tiny pieces using a pastry cutter, box grater, or a knife. Add it to the flour mixture and combine with a fork or your hands until you’ve got pea-sized crumbs.
- Add your wet ingredients to a separate small bowl: heavy cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Combine your wet ingredients with your crumbly flour mixture. Fold in the fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Dust a small amount of all-purpose flour onto the counter where you’re working. Pour your scone mixture onto the dusted counter and roll the dough into a ball shape. Be careful not to over-knead the dough.
- With the palm of your hand or a plate, gently flatten the dough.
Cut your circular scone dough into 6 slices and brush the top with a little heavy cream.
- Place your scones onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake scones for 25-29 minutes or until edges are a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. They’re best served warm or at room temperature.
- Optional: As the scones are baking, combine the icing ingredients (Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener and lemon zest) together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle icing over warm scones, or serve them with a light dusting of Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener and some jam. Enjoy!