Pecan Sticky Buns
Breakfast never looked so good! Whether you are a traditional cinnamon roll fan or love warm sweet treats that embody deep rich notes of molasses and crunchy pecans, this is the breakfast dessert of all desserts. These soft, fluffy, and decadent buns are a sure win in any family household. These sweet, shareable treats are melt-in-your-mouth good, with just a hint of cinnamon and orange zest. Time to wake up to the smell of sweet pecan sticky buns sans the sugar, but not the taste of pure sweetness! A batch made in heaven.
· ¼ cup warm water
· 1 package active dry yeast
· ⅓ cup Purecane™ Baking Sweetener (divided)
· ¾ cup milk
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature, plus more for greasing)
· 3 large egg yolks
· 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
· 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
· 4 cups all-purpose flour (divided, plus more for dusting)
· ½ cup Purecane™ Brown Sweetener (firmly packed)
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 1 cup Purecane™ Brown Sweetener (firmly packed)
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 2 tablespoons Purecane corn syrup substitute
· 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans
Purecane Corn Syrup Substitute:
· 2 cups Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
· ¾ cup water
· ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
· 2 teaspoons lemon juice
· a pinch of salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine warm water, yeast, and one teaspoon Purecane™ Baking Sweetener. Stir to dissolve and let sit until foamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add milk, butter, remaining Purecane™ Baking Sweetener, egg yolks, orange zest, salt, and 3 cups flour. Mix on low speed until blended.
- Switch to a dough hook and then, again on low speed, slowly incorporate the remaining 1 cup of flour.
- Increase speed to medium, kneading the dough until smooth and slightly sticky (about 3 to 5 minutes). Add flour to dough; if dough is too wet, one tablespoon at a time.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, greased bowl. Turn dough over in a bowl to coat with the butter. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, (about 1 to 2 hours).
- After the dough has risen, punch down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and let sit for 20 minutes.
- While your dough is resting, begin to make your filling. Combine Purecane™ Brown Sweetener, and cinnamon in a small bowl. In another small bowl, melt four tablespoons of butter and keep them separate. Set aside.
- Once dough is ready, lightly flour a surface and roll dough out into a 12” X 18” rectangle. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sweetener- cinnamon mixture.
- Next, roll your dough, starting with the longer side; roll tightly into a cylinder. Place your roll seam side down and cut crosswise into 15 slices. Set aside. Use a string or twine to loop and cut dough to avoid a sticky knife.
- Skip to step 13, If using corn syrup instead of homemade substitute.
- Optional: To create your sugar-free corn syrup substitute, mix together the Purecane™ Baking Sweetener, water, cream of tartar, salt, and lemon juice, in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the sweetener dissolves, turn down the heat and let the syrup simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the syrup is thick.
- Once the mixture is thick in consistency, remove from heat and place the pot in a bowl of cold water to cool quickly. Once syrup cools, use two tablespoons in the recipe. Store remaining syrup in an airtight container or mason jar at room temperature. Shelf life of 3 months.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine Purecane™ Brown Sweetener, butter, and Purecane corn syrup substitute or corn syrup over low heat; stir until sweetener and butter are melted. Pour mixture into a greased 9” x 13” pan or baking dish and sprinkle pecans on top.
- Place dough rounds on top of the prepared topping, crowd them together so they touch. Then cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for about 8 hours.
- Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature while preheating the oven to 375°F.
- Bake buns for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden in color.
- Remove pan from the oven and immediately invert onto a serving tray or baking dish. (Carefully switch, pecan topping will be very hot!) Let the buns cool completely and serve warm.
- Enjoy with your favorite morning beverage or as an evening sweet treat!