Created by Thomas Schmidt, Senior Associate Scientist
2 cups Purecane™
3 cups of cake flour (spoon and leveled)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
8 large eggs, room temperature and separated
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
2 oz liquid red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 cups ground Purecane™ for frosting
Use a coffee bean grinder; it will double to about 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
16 oz full-fat block cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp heavy cream or milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease two 9-inch cake or springform pans; parchment paper helps the cake seamlessly release from the pans but we had no problem using a non-stick, greased springform pan.
2. Make the cake: whisk the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Using a held hand or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and Purecane™; this sometimes takes longer with Purecane™ but it’s worth the wait. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the oil, egg yolks, vanilla, and vinegar and beat on high for 2 minutes (set the egg whites aside). Scrape down the sides as needed.
4. With mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in 2-3 additions altering with the buttermilk. Beat in your desired amount of food coloring.
5. Vigorously beat the egg whites on high until fluffy peaks appear. Gently fold into the cake batter. The batter will be silky and slightly thick.
6. Divide the batter into two the two 9-inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back gently touched and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. If the cakes need a little longer as determined by wet crumbs on the toothpick, bake for longer.
7. Make the frosting. In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium-high until smooth. Add 4 cups of ground Purecane™, cream/milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat until completely combined and creamy. And the remaining ground Purecane™ if frosting is too thin. The frosting should be soft but not runny.
8. Assemble and frost. Make sure cake edges are and sides are flattened. You can discard or add the crumbles on the cake. Optimal: use a piping top to decorate the edges.
9. Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes before slicing.