SPOOKY HALLOWEEN MONSTER COOKIES
Sweet and gooey, no one will ever guess they’re made with purple sweet potatoes!
By Caitlin of kaleforniakravings.com
- 1 cup mashed purple sweet potato (see notes for directions for mashing)
- ½ cup gluten free flour (can be replaced with regular all purpose flour instead)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cashew butter (can use almond butter instead)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Powdered Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener
- Candy eyes (store bought or homemade)
- 15-20 drops purple food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Set it aside.
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl. Then add your mashed sweet potato, maple syrup, vanilla and cashew butter and mix them together with a large spoon.
- Add your flour mixture and food coloring (if using) and mix again. Stir in your chocolate chips.
- Use a heaping tablespoon and form the dough into balls. Flatten them slightly and roll them in your powdered sugar. (Make sure to have a thick coating of powdered sugar. I’ll usually roll them at least 4-5 times.) Place the balls on the baking sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Once done press a few candy eyes into each cookie before transferring them to a cooling rack. Serve!
Note: To mash the sweet potatoes
- Cut the sweet potato into bite sized pieces and bring a medium pot of water to a boil on the stove. Once boiling, add your potatoes and boil for 8-9 minutes. (They should be tender enough for a knife to go straight through them.)
- Drain the potatoes and mash them in a large bowl with a potato masher or blend them in a food processor until smooth. Set them aside to cool.