A scrumptious fruity pie that will never go out of season!
- 5 cups sweet dark cherries, pitted (can use fresh or frozen)
- ¾ cup Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
Optional Sugar-Free Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- 10 tablespoons butter (very cold)
- ½ cup sour cream
Egg Wash Ingredients:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream or milk
Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line the bottom of a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Optional Sugar-Free Pie Crust. If using store-bought pie crust, skip this section:
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Once mixed, chop in your very cold butter using a box grater, a pastry cutter, or a fork. You’ll want a crumbly consistency.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter combine sour cream evenly into the mixture.
- Use hands to combine and create a dough-like texture, form into a dough ball (quickly and firmly to avoid butter melting). If the dough is too dry add a few tablespoons of sour cream.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and begin to roll out dough using a rolling pin.
- Begin to press the crust into your baking dish, leaving any extra dough hanging over the sides. Cut these extra pieces off of the baking dish, and combine them into a ball. These will be used for the top of your crust.
- Roll the top crust pieces flat with your rolling pin. Cut them into ¾-1 inch strips. You can use these to form a lattice pattern over the top of the pie.
- Cover the pie dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, combine the pitted cherries, lemon juice, almond extract, Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener, salt, and flour to create cherry pie filling. Mix until well combined.
- Spread cherry pie filling evenly into the bottom crust that has been cooled in the fridge (or in the bottom of your store-bought pie crust). Add 1 tablespoon of chopped butter around the top of the cherry pie filling.
- Take additional pie crust strips and weave over cherry pie filling creating a lattice-like crust. Fold bottom crust up and over evenly with the edge of pie plate and press/pinch to seal. Can press the edges of the pie crust together with fingers or a fork.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 30 minutes to an hour to make sure the top crust is completely chilled.
- Once pie is chilled, whisk together the egg wash ingredients in a small bowl and then brush mixture over the top pie crust for a golden-brown crust.
- Place pie on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, bake for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool before serving. Enjoy!