Savory Brown Sugar Bacon Twists
What better way to enjoy your sweet than to have a little savory to go with it? This delicious savory-sweet recipe is sure to turn heads at your next soiree or enjoy as an afternoon delight. The combination of smoked bacon and a spicy-sweet seasoning on a flakey butter dough makes this savory treat the one to beat!
By Lauren of @brightmomentco
- 1 box Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 12-24 strips of Bacon (thin cut, and sugar-free optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded and chopped)
- ¼ cup Purecane™ Brown Sweetener
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Make Your Puff Pastry:
- Lightly roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface. Brush with the beaten egg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the finely chopped rosemary, black pepper, cayenne, salt, and Purecane™ Brown Sweetener.
- Evenly distribute the spiced Purecane™ Brown Sweetener mixture over the puff pastry, then the shredded and chopped cheddar cheese. Gently press it into the puff pastry with your hands.
- Fold the puff pastry along the long side (hotdog-style), then use a sharp knife to carefully slice 12 even strips.
- If using thick cut bacon, slice lengthwise. Add a strip of bacon on top of each puff pastry strip. Holding the ends, twist the puff pastry and bacon bundle. Place on the prepared baking pan. Repeat with remaining.
- Brush with an egg wash, then bake for 35 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Let cool for at least 8-10 minutes before serving warm.