- 105 grams of almond flour, finely ground
- *Tip: Let it sit out for at least an hour to make sure there is absolutely no moisture in your almond flour
- 100 grams of egg whites (room temperature)
- 100 grams of Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
- 105 grams of Powdered Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
- (blend your Purecane™ in a high-speed blender or food processor for about 45 seconds)
- 1-2 tsp powdered beetroot (for color)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 whole Passionfruit
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 3 tbsp Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
- Combine the powdered Purecane™ (made by putting your Purecane™ Baking Sweetener in a blender or food processor for about 45 seconds), almond flour and salt. Sift the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Note: Some almond flour can carry moisture. You do not want any added moisture, as it can impact the meringue. Leave your sifted almond flour out for an hour if you're concerned about any potential moisture.
- In a large bowl, beat the room temperature egg whites with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the Purecane™ Baking Sweetener until fully incorporated. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually work your way to high speed & stay there until your meringue becomes glossy, and you can see streaks.
- Add the powdered beetroot until fully incorporated.
- Add about ¼ of the sifted almond flour mixture at a time to the beaten egg whites. Use a spatula to gently fold until combined. Once all the almond flour is added, continue to fold slowly until the batter falls smoothly off the spatula (no clumps!). This process takes about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the macaron batter into a piping bag. Pipe the macarons onto a silicone baking mat (parchment paper works as well) in 1½ inch circles. Make sure to space them an inch apart.
- Bake the macarons for 15-17 minutes, turning about halfway through, until they are well-risen and don’t stick to the baking mat. Transfer the macarons to a wire rack to cool completely before filling.
- While the macarons cool, make the passionfruit filling. In a large bowl, add the butter and egg yolks, and beat with a mixer for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Add in the Purecane™ Baking Sweetener and beat until fully incorporated. Add the passionfruit and mix to combine.
- Transfer the filling to a piping bag. Add a dollop of filling half of the macaron shells. Top each filled shell with another macaron shell to create a sandwich. Repeat until all sandwiches are made.
You will love the taste of Purecane Baking Sweetener and how similar it browns to sugar. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your Purecane baking experience:
- Don’t forget to bring your butter to room temperature if you are blending butter with Purecane.
- Purecane will take a little longer to blend with butter, but it is worth the wait.
- If you prefer a moister baked result, consider increasing your eggs or the amount of butter you use.
- For recipes calling for 1 cup or more of PURECANE™ Baking Sweetener, you may wish to add 1/8 teaspoon of salt for a better balanced sweetness.