Vegan French Toast Casserole
This breakfast sweet will bring you down a childhood memory lane! It is a guaranteed kid-favorite treat that is ready in just 35 easy minutes, plus it can be made with the little ones on a leisurely weekend morning. Time to start your morning sweet with warm vanilla and cinnamon notes, a drizzle of maple butter and syrup, your favorite berry toppings, and a dash of Confectioners Sweetener. This yummy recipe is at the top of your list. Breakfast with the family never tasted so sweet.
By Jill of @peanutbutterandjillybeans
French Toast Ingredients:
· 1 cup unsweetened oat or almond milk (can use milk of choice)
· 2 teaspoon vanilla
· ½ teaspoon cinnamon
· 4 tablespoons melted vegan butter (can use unsalted butter)
· 8 slices of regular or gluten free bread (can use bread of choice)
· Vegan option: 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 2 tablespoons hot water
· Non-vegan option: 1 egg
· Optional: 2 sliced bananas
· Banana slices
· Maple butter
· 2 tablespoons butter mixed with 4 tablespoons maple syrup
· Maple syrup
· Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener for garnishing
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9" x 11" ceramic casserole dish. Set aside.
Skip step 2 if using the non-vegan option:
2. Prepare the flaxseed meal mixture by mixing the flaxseed meal with hot water. Set aside until a thick gel forms.
3. Whisk the flaxseed meal mixture or egg with the milk of choice, Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon.
4. Dip a slice of bread into the custard mixture and place it into the casserole dish. Repeat until you've filled the dish with one layer of soaked bread—option to layer the bread with banana slices. Drizzle with two tablespoons of melted vegan butter or regular. Then, add another layer of the soaked bread. Once you have two layers of bread, drizzle the top layer with two more tablespoons of melted vegan butter or regular butter, and then pour the remaining custard over the top of the casserole.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Option to broil for the final minute to brown the top more.
6. While the vegan french toast casserole is baking, you may prepare your toppings.
7. Prepare the maple butter by mixing two tablespoons of melted vegan butter or regular butter with four tablespoons of maple syrup. You may also just use regular maple syrup as a topping.
8. Once baked, remove french toast from the oven and plate. Top with your favorite fruit toppings, maple butter or syrup, and Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener.
9. Serve and enjoy!