Lemon Cardamom Cake
The perfect springtime recipe does exist!
By Thomas John of @thomasjohn26
- 1 cup Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- + extra butter (or non-stick spray) to grease a loaf pan
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon zest (4-5 small lemons)
- ¼ cup + 2 teaspoons whole milk yogurt (room temperature)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice, or more (depending on consistency)
- Chopped pistachios for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper and fit into the bottom of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Secure it to the bottom of the pan with a few dabs of butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Grease the pan well with butter or non-stick spray (including the surface of the parchment bottom).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and soda, salt and cardamom. Set aside.
- Whip butter and Purecane™ Baking Sweetener until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the eggs and continue to whip until well incorporated and smooth. Be careful not to overmix.
- Whip in the lemon zest.
- In another bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk lemon juice, yogurt, oil and vanilla together.
- Whip the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mix, little by little, alternating between the two and starting with the dry ingredients. Mix for a few minutes until you have a very smooth and creamy-looking batter. Be careful not to overmix.
- Fill the batter into the loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out completely clean (45-50 minutes).
- Once the pan is cool enough to handle, run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Unmold the cake and then let it cool completely.
For the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the two ingredients together and keep adding lemon juice until you have a slow-moving icing. (If the icing ends up too runny, whisk in a little more Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener).
- Drizzle the icing on the cake and sprinkle the chopped pistachios on. Enjoy!