Sweet Potato Biscuits
Warm, flakey, melt-in-your-mouth biscuits that will send you straight into the cozy season. Enjoy these no added sugar biscuits as a tasty side dish or a focal point on the family table. Whatever you choose, these deliciously sweet biscuits will bring memorable moments and fun conversations.
By Tiffany of @foodtoobomb
Prep Time: 60 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 3 ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of cold solid vegetable shortening, cut into 2 pieces
- ½ cup of cold cubed unsalted butter, cut into small slices
- 1 ½ cup of cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 ¼ cup of coconut milk
- Bake your sweet potatoes at 425°F for 40-60 minutes or until potatoes are soft to touch.
- Allow your sweet potatoes to rest and cool completely to ensure that your biscuits rise properly.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Using a food processor, combine flour, salt, baking powder, Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener, and cinnamon. Pulse for three one-second pulses.
- Add butter and shortening to dry ingredients and pulse for five one-second pulses. You want the mixture to be well mixed and crumbly. (Scrape bowl with a spatula to ensure it is mixed properly).
- Once sweet potatoes are cool, scrape the insides into a large bowl. Add coconut milk in and whisk until smooth.
- Empty contents from the food processor into the bowl with the whipped potatoes.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix until just combined, be careful not to over-mix.
- Empty the contents of the bowl onto a floured surface and knead seven times.
- Once finished kneading, use a rolling pin and roll out dough until ¾ inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter (3 inch) or a glass (if using a glass, dust the rim with flour), cut 12 rounds by pushing down and pulling biscuit cutter or glass straight up.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased sheet pan. Make sure biscuits touch each other.
- Brush the top of the biscuits with coconut milk or melted butter, then bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or place on a cooling rack until ready to eat. Enjoy!