A traditional Fall dessert made for any occasion. If you want to sweeten a family dinner, prepare this recipe for the ones you love! A simple recipe made with delicious seasonal ingredients and a fun dessert the whole family can get involved in! Did we mention it’s reduced sugar and easy to create? A shareable treat that is sweet to the core!
By Tiffany of @foodtoobomb
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
Total Time: 1 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Apple Crisp Topping Ingredients:
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of packed Purecane™ zero-calorie Brown Sweetener
- 1 ¼ cup of old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup of unsalted butter, cold & cubed
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 10 small apples of your choosing (we used 4 granny smith and 6 gala)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of Purecane™ zero-calorie Brown Sweetener
- ¼ cup of Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cold & cubed
Prepare Your Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Combine topping dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and whisk until just combined.
- Add butter in the bowl with dry ingredients and mash together with a pastry cutter or a fork. You can also use your hands to do this but work quickly because your hands produce heat and you don’t want to let your butter melt. This is also a perfect time to let the kids get involved!
- You want the mixture to be well mixed and crumbly.
- Cover and place in the fridge.
Make Your Filling
- Peel and core apples (great opportunity to get friends & family involved), then cut prepared apples into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and begin to add in apple slices and mix until just combined.
- Next, add the zest of ½ the lemon, juice of ½ the lemon, and vanilla extract into the apple mixture, and mix well, coating the apples thoroughly.
- Layer half of the apple mixture into the prepared 9x9 baking dish, sprinkle the cold butter cubes on top and then add the remaining apple mixture to the dish.
- Top with the crumble topping, then place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Allow crisp to cool, then serve and enjoy! Can serve with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream for an even more fun dessert!