Homemade Apple Pie
A sweet, classic dessert the whole family will love! This apple pie recipe is the perfect go-to for holiday baking. Juicy apple slices coated in Purecane sweetener and spices, then baked to perfection inside a flaky homemade pie crust. Let's spice up the holidays!
By Tiffany of @foodtoobomb
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hrs 5 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour (can use gluten free or regular)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener
- ½ cup of cold solid vegetable shortening
- 12 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons cold vodka
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 3.5 lbs. of apples of your choosing peel, core, and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Purecane™ zero-calorie Brown Sweetener
- ½ cup of Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
Prepare Your Crust
- Using a food processor combine flour, Purecane™ Baking Sweetener, and salt. Pulse for 3 one-second pulses.
- Add butter and shortening and pulse 7 one-second pulses. You want the mixture to be well mixed and crumbly. (Scrape bowl with a spatula to ensure it is adequately mixed).
- Empty the contents of the food processor into a large clean, dry bowl.
- Combine ice-cold water and vodka in a small bowl.
- Using a teaspoon add 2 teaspoons of the liquid into the flour mixture. Use a rubber spatula or your hands to mix the dough, if dough is dry add 1 teaspoon at a time of the liquid, mix and press. If using your hands, be careful not to over-mix because your hands create heat and will make the dough tough.
- Once mixed, halve the dough and form into 2 disks, wrap them in plastic wrap, and place them in the fridge. Allow to cool while you prepare your filling.
Make Your Filling & Pie
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Using a large bowl, add salt, Purecane™ sweeteners, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice to apples and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water to make a slurry and set aside.
- In a large high-sided skillet, cook apples until liquid releases and apples are almost soft. Stirring frequently, About 7 minutes
- Add slurry and cook for 1 minute to thicken the mixture, careful not to overcook the apples. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Liberally dust a surface with flour and roll one chilled dough disc into a 12-in circle. Gently place dough in a pie tin, making sure you cover the whole tin. Place cooled filling in the pie dish on top of the dough.
- Roll out the second disc with a rolling pin and place on top of the filling.
- Cut off excess dough and crimp edges to seal the dough. Cut 6 one-inch slits on the top crust layer.
- Create an egg wash by beating the egg in a small dish and, with a pastry brush, brush the top of the crust with the mixture.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and Purecane™ Baking Sweetener.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the pie settle before slicing, then serve warm with your favorite ice cream or whipped topping. Enjoy!