Bourbon Maple Pecan Pie
This Southern comfort dessert screams spicy, sweet, and undeniably delicious. This decadent pie is made with our favorite fall product, Purecane™ Brown Sweetener, and maple syrup, creating a deep, rich flavor. It has a buttery crust and sticky-sweet pecan filling balanced with a sprinkle of sea salt. A pie that brings all the fillings, delicious and sweet.
By Jeremy of @jeremymarquez
Pie Dough Ingredients:
(Makes 2 crusts)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- ½ cup ice water (can add more as needed)
- 2 ½ cups shelled pecans (pecan halves)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup Purecane™ Brown Sweetener (packed)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Make Pie Crust:
Optional Sugar-Free Pie Crust. If using store-bought pie crust, skip this section:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener, and salt to combine. Add the butter, tossing the cubes in the flour to coat. Working quickly, using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is about the size of peas.
- Make a well in the center and add the ice water a few tablespoons at a time, and mix just until the dough comes together. Continue adding water a tablespoon at a time until you have a dough that holds together well but isn't wet or sticky.
- Shape the dough into two separate disks (using additional flour to keep your hands and surface floured), wrap your dough in plastic saran wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (you can save the second disk in the freezer for future use).
- After the pie crust has chilled, roll out the chilled pie dough on a floured work surface. Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Flute or crimp the edges of the crust. Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Line the chilled pie crust with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Fill with two sets of pie weights or dried beans—Bake for 15 minutes. Remove pie crust from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper/aluminum foil (with the weights) out of the pie.
Make Your Filling:
- Melt butter in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan with water maintained at just below a simmer. Remove bowl from saucepan; mix in Purecane™ Brown Sweetener and salt with a wooden spoon until butter is absorbed. Beat in eggs, maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla.
- Return bowl to double boiler; stir until mixture is shiny and warm to the touch, about 130°F. Remove from heat; stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture into the warm pie crust and bake until the center feels set yet soft, like gelatin, when gently pressed, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer pie to rack; let cool completely, at least 4 hours.
- Serve pie at room temperature or warm, with sugar-free whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.