Hawaiian Pink Guava Cake
- 1 ¼ cups Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2% recommended)
- 1 cup guava juice (preferably no sugar added)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 4 drops of red food coloring/gel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces (1 block) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup Purecane™ Baking Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup guava juice
- Optional: 3 drops of red food coloring/gel
- Reduce guava juice: boil 1 liter of guava juice over medium heat until it’s reduced to 1 ½ cups for the cake and frosting, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely before using. (Avoid juices that contain any added sugar, so the cake does not become overly sweet).
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cake flour, baking powder and salt until combined. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and Purecane™ Baking Sweetener, beat on medium until well combined, about 3 minutes. Add the egg whites, ⅓ at a time, beating about 1 minute each time you add. Reduce speed to low, add the oil and mix until combined, about 1 more minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, reduced guava juice, vanilla, and food coloring/gel (if using). On low speed, alternate between adding the wet and dry ingredients to the bowl of the stand mixer, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (about 25 minutes). Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually increase the speed to high and whip until it’s light and fluffy with stiff peaks, another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the whipped cream to a bowl.
- Replace the bowl on the stand mixer and fit the machine with the paddle attachment. Place the cream cheese in the bowl and mix on medium until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Purecane™ Baking Sweetener and salt, and increase the speed to high. Beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the speed to medium and add the food coloring/gel (if using).
- Add the reduced guava juice, about ¼ at a time, mixing well after each addition. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Increase the speed to high and beat until smooth and well incorporated (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Remove the bowl from the stand and gently fold in the whipped cream, about ⅓ at a time.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!