A sweet Southern side dish that is delicious and can be added to any meal with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This sweet and savory dish is the epitome of southern charm with the draw of warm buttery goodness—a delicious twist of sweet and south all wrapped up in one delightful bread.
- 1 ¼ cups coarsely ground cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk in the milk, buttermilk, and eggs. Whisk in almost all of the melted butter, reserving about one tablespoon for the skillet later on.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Coat the bottom and sides of the hot skillet with the remaining butter. Pour the batter into the skillet and place it in the center of the oven. Bake until the center is firm and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice, serve, and enjoy!