Pie Dough Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- ½ cup ice water (can add more as needed)
Pumpkin Pie Ingredients:
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup Purecane™ Brown Sweetener
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Optional: cinnamon + Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener for sprinkling, and candy eyes for decorating (can use raisins for no added sugar)
Make Your Pie Dough:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener, and salt to combine. Add the butter, tossing the cubes in the flour to coat. Working quickly, using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is about the size of peas.
- Make a well in the center and add the ice water a few tablespoons at a time, and mix just until the dough comes together. Continue adding water a tablespoon at a time until you have a dough that holds together well but isn't wet or sticky.
- Shape the dough into two separate disks (using additional flour to keep your hands and surface floured) and wrap in plastic, and refrigerate (at least 1 hour).
To Make The Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- In a medium bowl, add the pumpkin, Purecane™ Brown Sweetener, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, egg, heavy cream, cornstarch, and whisk until well combined. Cover the bowl and chill in refrigerator until ready to fill the hand pies.
Create The Mummy Hand Pies:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the first dough disk into a large rectangle (about 14"x18" in size). Using a ruler and a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough into 3" x4" rectangles; you should get four rectangles and leftover dough. Place the cut rectangles carefully onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to help firm the pastry slightly. Repeat the process with the second dough disk to make a total of 8 3 "x4" rectangles.
- While the rectangles are chilling, roll out and cut the remaining dough into even ¼ inch strips about 4 inches long; these will be your mummy bandages.
- Remove the pastry rectangles from the fridge. Lightly brush the edges of one piece of pastry with egg wash, then add a generous tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling, smoothing to flatten. Place the cut strips over the filling in alternating angles to create the mummy look, leaving an opening where the eyes will eventually be. Cut off any excess dough from the strips and use a fork to gently press down the strips to seal them. Repeat until all of the hand pies are assembled.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the dough is firm.
Bake The Mummy Hand Pies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix together the egg with the heavy cream, beat until smooth to create an egg wash.
- Remove the hand pies from the refrigerator, lightly brush the edges and strips with egg wash, and sprinkle with cinnamon and Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener mixture.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the hand pies are light golden brown on the tops and bottoms. Remove from the oven and carefully stick on the candy eyes or raisins. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy! Happy Halloween!
You will love the taste of Purecane Baking Sweetener and how similar it browns to sugar. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your Purecane baking experience:
- Don’t forget to bring your butter to room temperature if you are blending butter with Purecane.
- Purecane will take a little longer to blend with butter, but it is worth the wait.
- If you prefer a moister baked result, consider increasing your eggs or the amount of butter you use.
- For recipes calling for 1 cup or more of PURECANE™ Baking Sweetener, you may wish to add 1/8 teaspoon of salt for a better balanced sweetness.
Did you like this spooky sweet treat recipe? Check out some of our other sugar-free Halloween recipes using all-natural, zero-calorie Purecane™!
A SPOOK-tacular treat that will excite everyone at your next Halloween event: Spooky Halloween Monster Cookies
Sugar-free melt in your mouth pull-apart bread, that will spice up any day: Sugar-Free Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
The guilt-free, layered candy bar that is sure to make you scream! (happy scream of course): Oatmeal Cookie Layered Candy Bars