Reduced Sugar Yule Log Cake
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- · 1 ⅓ cups cake flour
- · 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- · 1 teaspoon baking powder
- · 1 teaspoon salt
- · 5 large eggs (separated and at room temperature)
- · ⅔ cup Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener (divided)
- · 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
- · 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Mascarpone Whipped Cream Filling Ingredients:
- · 1 cup heavy whipping cream (cold)
- · ¾ cups Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener
- · 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- · ¼ teaspoon salt
- · 8 oz mascarpone cheese (softened and chilled)
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- · 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- · ¾ cup heavy cream
Sweetened Cranberries & Rosemary Ingredients:
- · ¾ cup fresh cranberries
- · 4–5 rosemary sprigs (optional)
- · ¾ cup Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- · ¾ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12×17 inch baking pan with parchment paper along all sides, so the cake seamlessly releases. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick spray, so the cake releases cleanly. Set aside.
Make The Sweetened Cranberries & Rosemary:
- 1. In a small saucepan, add ¾ cups of Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener and ¾ cups of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the sweetener has melted. Remove from heat and let cool (about 10 minutes). Then spread ¼ cup of Purecane™ Baking Sweetener evenly on a shallow dish. Dip cranberries and rosemary sprigs into the Purecane™ water, then roll in the Purecane™ Baking Sweetener. Set aside.
Prepare Your Cake:
- 2. Whisk the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside until the next step. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment beat the egg whites and ⅓ cup Purecane™ Baking Sweetener together on high speed for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Transfer to another bowl. Using the same mixing bowl you just had the egg whites in (no need to clean it), add the egg yolks, the other ⅓ cup of Purecane™ Baking Sweetener, oil, and vanilla extract. Beat together on high speed for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and light in color.
- 3. Add half of the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Beat on low speed for 10 seconds. Repeat with remaining egg whites and beat on low for 10 seconds. Add half of the flour mixture and beat on low or fold with a rubber spatula until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture. Avoid over-mixing and deflating the egg whites. Batter will be very light in consistency.
- 4. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan. Gently bang the pan on the counter a couple of times to pop any air bubbles. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly poked with your finger. Cake will look a little bubbly on top when it’s done. Avoid over-baking cake because the cake will crack when rolling and unrolling if over-baked.
Construct Your Roll:
- 5. As the cake bakes, place a piece of parchment paper (larger than the cake) on the counter. Once the cake comes out of the oven, quickly run a knife around the edges to loosen it. Immediately invert it onto the parchment. Peel off the parchment paper on the bottom of the cake as it is baked. Starting with the narrow end, begin tightly rolling the hot cake up with the parchment. Do this slowly and gently. The cake will be warm. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature rolled up in the parchment (about 15-30 minutes).
Mix Your Whipped Cream:
- 6. Add the heavy whipping cream, Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener, vanilla extract and salt to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the mascarpone cheese to the whipped cream and whip until stiff peaks form. It will happen fairly quickly.
- 7. Gently and very slowly, start to unroll the cake. Spread whipped cream evenly on top, leaving about a ½ inch border around the cake. Gently roll the cake back up without the parchment/towel this time.
- 8. Roll it slowly. Carefully place on a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before shaping and topping with ganache.
Make The Ganache Topping:
- 9. Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer. Pour over chocolate, then let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes to soften the chocolate gently. Slowly stir until thoroughly combined and chocolate has melted. The ganache will be thin, so it has to thicken before use. Let the ganache sit for at least 30 minutes to thicken. It should be thick enough to spread on the log.
- 10. Remove rolled cake from the refrigerator. Diagonally slice a 3 to 4-inch section off one end. Place the angled side against a side of the roll, forming a branch. Slowly pour and spread thickened ganache all over the top and sides of the cake. Feel free to expose the cut ends or spread ganache over the ends. Optional: Can use a fork to make textured lines resembling tree bark.
- 11. Decorate with the Purecane™ cranberries and rosemary, and a dusting of Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener just before serving.
- 12. Enjoy!