Spooky Boo Cupcakes
Are you ready for a treat that will frighten the night? We have the perfect shareable treat: gourd enough to eat! These Spooky Boo Cupcakes are a fun balance between guilt-free sweets and Halloween treats! A moist chocolate cupcake sprinkled with chocolate chips and topped with a light and fluffy cream cheese frosting. This is no trick. We are just creepin' it real!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- ½ cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener
- ½ cup Purecane™ zero-calorie Brown Sweetener (packed)
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil (can use melted coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ¾ cup Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with 2 liners – this recipe makes about 14 cupcakes. Set aside.
Make The Cupcakes:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener, Purecane™ zero-calorie Brown Sweetener, oil, and vanilla together until combined. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until just combined; do not overmix. The batter will be thin in texture. Option to fold in vegan chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into 14 lined muffin wells and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While the cupcakes are cooling, beat together the room temperature cream cheese and butter until smooth using a stand or hand mixer.
- Add the Purecane™ zero-calorie Baking Sweetener and vanilla extract at a low-medium speed until it’s well-mixed and smooth.
- Add in half-and-half and mix until the frosting is the desired consistency. You can keep it in the fridge until the cakes are cooled if necessary.
Make Your Boo Cakes:
- Once cupcakes have cooled, fill your piping bag with your cream cheese frosting using a larger mouth tip for thicker frosting design work. Begin to frost in a circle all the way up to the tip, creating your ghost-like shape. Then place chocolate chips onto the side for your ghostly eyes! Serve and enjoy your Boo-tiful cupcakes!