It is a traditional Greek-inspired pastry known for its sweet, rich flavor and flaky texture made sugar-free and guilt-free. The sweet, warm notes of cinnamon and butter, plus the added crunch of nuts, will elevate your dessert experience from what is typically thought to be a complicated dessert to make and bake to an easy beginner-friendly recipe that can be enjoyed whenever and wherever you want. A warm, flakey, sweet best served fresh and sugar-free!
By Jeremy of @jeremymarquez
· 1 pound finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pistachios or pecans)
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 16 oz phyllo dough (thawed)
· 1 cup unsalted butter (melted)
· 2 cups water
· Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prep a 13x9-inch baking pan, brushing the bottom and sides with melted butter.
- Place nuts in a bowl and stir in Purecane™ Baking Sweetener and cinnamon until combined.
- Unfold phyllo. Trim to fit the baking pan. Cover with a damp tea towel to keep the dough from drying out.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo dough in the bottom of the prepared pan and brush with melted butter. Repeat 9 more times, creating a layer of 10 phyllo sheets.
- Sprinkle phyllo evenly with a third (about 1 ¼ cups) of the nut mixture.
- Top with a phyllo sheet and brush with butter. Repeat 5 more times, creating a layer of 6 phyllo sheets. Sprinkle with another third of the nut mixture. Repeat both phyllo and nut layers again.
- Top the nut mixture with 1 phyllo sheet and brush with butter. Repeat 9 more times, creating a top layer with 10 phyllo sheets. Brush with butter.
- 8. Using a very sharp knife, cut the Baklava into 2 ¼ -inch wide strips lengthwise. Cut into the same width strips, again running diagonally to the first cuts, creating a diamond pattern. If any melted butter remains, Drizzle it all over the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- While Baklava is baking, begin to prepare the Purecane syrup. Combine water with Purecane™ Baking Sweetener in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- When the Baklava is removed from the oven, immediately pour the cooled Purecane syrup all over. (It should make a sizzling sound.) Let the Purecane syrup soak into the Baklava for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Option to garnish with finely chopped nuts, if desired.