- 1 cup Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 large eggs + one yolk (discard egg white)
Note: egg yolks contain a degree of fat, which helps soften a cake's texture and will make it more moist; proteins in the egg's whites help the cake to set and hold its shape.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ½ Tbsp granulated Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, diced or sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Butter or nonstick spray a 9-inch springform pan, line bottom with a round of parchment paper and butter or nonstick spray parchment.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener, butter, and lemon zest until pale and fluffy (you can use a hand-held mixer in a large bowl if you don’t own a stand mixer).
- Mix in eggs one at a time (mixture will appear lumpy) and blend in vanilla extract.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add ricotta and again mix just until combined.
- Add in the second half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined (gently fold batter to ensure ingredients are evenly incorporated).
- Pour batter into the prepared springform pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes in a preheated oven until the cake is set (a toothpick can come out moist but no batter).
- Let the cake cool 10 minutes then run a knife around the edge to loosen any edges that may have slightly stuck to the pan; remove the springform ring and continue to let cool.
- Optional: dust cake with powdered Purecane™ (ground with coffee grinder) and serve with macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
Whipped topping and macerated strawberries instructions:
- In a separate medium mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer, add 1 ½ Tbsp Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener and whip until stiff peaks form
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Toss sliced or diced strawberries in a medium mixing bowl with 2 Tbsp of the Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator while the cake is baking and cooling.
You will love the taste of Purecane Baking Sweetener and how similar it browns to sugar. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your Purecane baking experience:
- Don’t forget to bring your butter to room temperature if you are blending butter with Purecane.
- Purecane will take a little longer to blend with butter, but it is worth the wait.
- If you prefer a moister baked result, consider increasing your eggs or the amount of butter you use.
- For recipes calling for 1 cup or more of PURECANE™ Baking Sweetener, you may wish to add 1/8 teaspoon of salt for a better balanced sweetness.