SUGAR-FREE LEMON RICOTTA CAKE
To all the lemon fans out there, this one's for you!
By Thomas John of @thomasjohn26
- 1 cup Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 large eggs + one yolk (discard egg white)
Note: egg yolks contain a degree of fat, which helps soften a cake's texture and will make it more moist; proteins in the egg's whites help the cake to set and hold its shape.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ½ Tbsp granulated Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, diced or sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Butter or nonstick spray a 9-inch springform pan, line bottom with a round of parchment paper and butter or nonstick spray parchment.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener, butter, and lemon zest until pale and fluffy (you can use a hand-held mixer in a large bowl if you don’t own a stand mixer).
- Mix in eggs one at a time (mixture will appear lumpy) and blend in vanilla extract.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add ricotta and again mix just until combined.
- Add in the second half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined (gently fold batter to ensure ingredients are evenly incorporated).
- Pour batter into the prepared springform pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes in a preheated oven until the cake is set (a toothpick can come out moist but no batter).
- Let the cake cool 10 minutes then run a knife around the edge to loosen any edges that may have slightly stuck to the pan; remove the springform ring and continue to let cool.
- Optional: dust cake with powdered Purecane™ (ground with coffee grinder) and serve with macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
Whipped topping and macerated strawberries instructions:
- In a separate medium mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer, add 1 ½ Tbsp Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener and whip until stiff peaks form
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Toss sliced or diced strawberries in a medium mixing bowl with 2 Tbsp of the Purecane™ zero calorie baking sweetener. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator while the cake is baking and cooling.