Homemade Vegan Strawberry Pop-Tarts
Homemade Strawberry Pop-Tarts: The traditional breakfast treat is usually high in sugars and processed fillers! This breakfast dupe is a kid-friendly treat using our All-Natural Zero-Calorie Sweeteners and yummy fresh fruit. This sweet treat is as fun to make as it is to eat! Mom loved, kid approved.
By Jill of @peanutbutterandjillybeans
· 1 cup oat or almond milk (can use milk of choice)
· ¼ cup melted vegan butter (can use unsalted butter)
· 2 tablespoons maple syrup
· 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla extract)
· 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
· 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
Strawberry Pop-Tart Filling Ingredients:
· 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
· ¼ cup Purecane™ Baking Sweetener (add up to ½ cup for sweeter filling)
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch
· 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter (can use unsalted butter)
Vegan Strawberry Glaze Ingredients:
· 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
· 1 tablespoon almond milk (can use milk of choice)
- Preheat the Oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the strawberry filling by melting butter into a saucepan on medium heat. Add the strawberries, Purecane™ Baking Sweetener, and lemon juice, stirring occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes or until the berries begin to bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in the cornstarch and flour. Set aside.
- Prepare the pop tart dough by mixing the milk, butter, maple syrup, almond extract, and baking powder together. Then, add the flour and mix until a thick dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper that has been sprinkled with flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a ¼ to ⅓ inch thick rectangular slab. You may need to use your hands to help form the dough into a rectangle. Slice the rectangle into about 20 smaller rectangles.
- Drop a large tablespoon of the strawberry pop tart filling the center of 10 rectangles. Top each pastry with the remaining dough rectangles and use a fork to press down around the edges to create a pop tart shape. You should have 10 to 12 pop tarts.
- Transfer each pop tart onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the pop tarts are golden in color. While pop-tarts are baking, use a whisk to whisk together the strawberry jam, Purecane™ Confectioners Sweetener, and milk of choice.
- Pour the strawberry glaze over each pop tart once it's cooled and top with sprinkles. Serve and enjoy!