Sweet Potato Pie
Warmth, comfort, and family moments are what come to mind when you think of this seasonal pie. All the spices warm you up and leave you feeling close to your loved ones. A traditionally sugary pastry that is now guilt-free using our zero-calorie Baking Sweetener, plus all the benefits and vitamins from the sweet potato itself. Time to cozy up, one slice at a time!
By Lisa of @BeautyByBenz
- 1 store-bought pie crust (of find a sugar-free version here)
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener
- ½ cup milk (can use plant based milk)
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: sugar-free whipped cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Make Pie Crust:
Optional Sugar-Free Pie Crust. If using store-bought pie crust, skip this section:
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Once mixed, chop in your very cold butter using a box grater, a pastry cutter, or a fork. You’ll want a crumbly consistency.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, combine sour cream evenly into the mixture.
- Use hands to combine and create a dough-like texture, form into a dough ball (quickly and firmly to avoid butter melting). If the dough is too dry, add a few tablespoons of sour cream.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and begin to roll out dough using a rolling pin.
- Begin to press the crust into your baking dish, leaving any extra dough hanging over the sides.
- Cover the pie dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before using.
Prepare Pie Filling:
- Boil sweet potato whole, with the skin on, for 30-40 minutes, until you can easily stick a fork in it. Run cold water over the sweet potato to help easily remove skin.
- Mash the softened sweet potato using a fork or potato masher, in a medium-sized bowl, then add in the butter until well combined.
- In the same bowl, add in the pumpkin puree, Purecane™ zero- calorie Baking Sweetener, eggs, milk, and spices. Mix until well combined.
Make Your Pie:
- Transfer filling into your prepared pie crust and then place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 425°F. Then reduce heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Once cool, slice the pie, serve and enjoy! Optional: add sugar-free whipped cream for serving.